Under Student Life, there are three Student Support Services:
- Residence Halls
- Sports and Recreation
- Health Services
Sport & Recreation
The College of Maritime Exellence is a learner-centered institution of higher education that is committed to the success of the Federated States of Micronesia by providing academic, career and technical educational programs characterized by continuous improvement and best practices.
Department’s Mission Statement
The Department of Student Services' mission is to support student development by providing learner-centered programs and services that fulfill the diverse educational, recreational, social, and cultural needs of student population and the College’s community.
Unit or Program’s Mission Statement
To enrich the educational experiences of the college community through sports competitions and recreational activities.
Closing of Sports and Recreation Center
All areas including locker rooms should be vacated by closing time each night. Staff on duty will do reminders at thirty minutes and fifteen minutes prior to closing, and at the actual closing time of the building.
Facilities may be closed and/or reservations canceled when warranted (i.e. special events, maintenance projects, and inclement weather). The Management of the Sports and Recreation Center will post any scheduled changes at the discretion of the immediate supervisor.
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct is enforced at the Sports and Recreation Center at all times. The use of sports facilities is a privilege with all members and participants are expected to be good citizens and respect the rights of others.
Individuals who engage in unacceptable or irresponsible behavior may have their access to the sports facilities revoked as determined by the Management. Students may be subject to further institution disciplinary action as outlined in the Code of Student Responsibilities. To ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment, the Sports and Recreation Staff will enforce the usage guidelines and other posted regulations. Failure to abide by these rules and regulations may result in access privileges revoked.
All members participating in any sports competitions organized by the Sports and Recreation Center must sign a Liability Waiver prior to participating in the competition. Liability Waiver recognizing the potential for serious injury while participating in the competition on or off campus. All who access the sports competitions hereby agrees to release, discharge and waive any law suit against COM-FSM, its officers, employees, and agents for any liability, loss or damage resulting from injury to person or property while participating in the sports competitions organized by the Sports and Recreation Center.
Special Need Access
The Sports and Recreation Center is designed to accommodate patrons of varying abilities. Sports and Recreation staff is available to provide special assistance to members with disabilities. Members are encouraged to provide as much advance notice as possible to the facility prior to a visit to help ensure that their request for special assistance may be met.
Specific policies and room regulations are posted on site and must be observed. Verbal instructions issued by all staff must strictly be followed.
Equipment Issue Rules
Equipment (balls, racquets, nets, etc) is available for borrowing from the Equipment Room. A Valid College Identification Card is required to be issued the equipment for use.
- Equipment must be returned at least 15 minutes prior to closing time.
- Individuals will be charged a fee for damaged or lost equipment. Fee will be determined based on fair market value/replacement cost of the item.
- Faculties and Staff may check out equipment for their guest, but assume full responsibility for equipment ssued.
- Equipment may be barrowed by instructors for educational purposes, but assume full responsibility for equipment issued.
- Equipment failures should be reported immediately to Sports and Recreation Center staff at the Service Window
Locker Room Policies
The East Wing Locker room is designated to male students and the West Wing is designated to the female students. At certain occasions when hosting major basketball competitions where teams are required to be in their locker rooms, only the rooms are available but not the lockers unless athletes are members of COM-FSM and have access to the lockers.
- The Sports and Recreation Center is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal property.
- If suspicious individuals wandering through the locker rooms at any time they must be reported immediately to a staff at the Service Window.
- If opposite sex are found in the wrong locker room, they must be reported immediately to the staff at the Service Window.
Lost and Found
Personal hygiene items such as shampoo, soap, deodorant, etc. will be disposed of each day at closing time. Other items of value will be sent immediately to the Management office for reporting.
- Lost College ID’s will be held at the Service Window for retrieval.
- Wallets, cell phones, MP3 players, and other items deemed to be of high value will be sent to the Management office for security purposes.
- The Sports and Recreation Center is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property.
Proper athletic footwear must be worn while participating in the college sponsored sports competitions at the Sports and Recreation Center.
- Non-marking sports shoes are required on the courts and other areas when engaged in physical activity.
- Sandals, Flip Flops, and Dress Shoes, Safety Shoes or any hard heels foot wear are prohibited and must not wear on the competition court.
Alcohol and Drugs
Alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs may not be consumed prior to or while using the facility. Individuals may not use the facility while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The Sports and Recreation Center staff reserves the right to question any individual and ask them to leave and/or deny entrance if suspecting someone under the influence.
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
- Smoking and use of other tobacco products are prohibited in the facility and at active entrances.
- Chewing of betel nut is prohibited in the facility and on the porch